Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

MISSION!!!!!!!!

I know that most of you already know this, but for those who don't, and just for my own sake, I thought I'd at least briefly mention it here...





I'M GOING ON A MISSION!!!






That's right, ladies and gentlemen...er, Brothers and Sisters, I have just finished my mission papers, and am now awaiting my final interviews.




Now, for the FAQs...

No, I don't have my call yet.
As was previously mentioned, all I have left is my interviews before my papers go in.
Yes, this is a fairly recent decision! I always talked about going on a mission when I was little, and I've thought about a mission on and off for a while, both prior to and since "coming of age," but not really seriously until just recently. As in General Conference recently (Sis. Allred's talk in the Sat. am session, to be exact). Things moved pretty quickly, and it's a really surreal feeling, but I'm excited!

For those of you wondering when I turn 21, I'm currently 22 (I'll be 23 in May, possibly before I leave).

Some of you may be wondering what's going on with my "relationship status".
I started dating a young man (Durk, pictured with me and the cow) in my ward shortly after deciding and starting my mission papers. Yes, he knew what he was getting into, and yes we did it anyway. I do realize that sisters have a different responsibility than elders when it comes to serving a full-time mission, and I know that I can change my mind at any time (trust me, my bishop made that VERY clear to me when I started this whole thing). Durk is amazing and wonderful, however, I really feel that I need to go. It's what I need to do right now, so that's what I'm doing. Durk is also very understanding and supportive, even though he was hoping for a slightly different outcome...

Yes, we are currently still dating.
No, Durk is not going to be "waiting" for me. He and I had that discussion a long time ago, and both completely agree on the subject.

I can go through the temple as soon as I get my call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm VERY excited for that. :)
No, I don't have anywhere in particular that I want to go. I have lots of places that I'd love to go, but will happily go wherever the Lord sends me. Whether I'm called to Chile or Kentucky, Russia or Temple Square, Venezuela or Canada, Europe, Idaho or anywhere in between, I will go and LOVE it! I had a friend say once that "every mission is "The BEST Mission In The World!" for the missionaries called to serve there."
I really will be thrilled wherever I'm sent. The Lord knows what He's doing, and I trust that. I know that I'll go where I'm needed.
My paperwork went pretty quickly. I was blessed to find a great dentist here in Rexburg who does complete missionary exams (including x-rays) completely free! I got my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 17, and was cavity-free! Apparently that's pretty rare, because they were all surprised that I wouldn't need any extra work. I also now have a testimony of flossing. I've flossed most days since my last dentist appt (a little over a year ago?), and it WORKED!!! The dentist here noticed right away, which made me pretty happy, as well as fully converting me to the practice :)
All the dr. stuff I did at the student health center, which was pretty quick and easy.
The thing that took the longest was just getting around to taking my picture. That I did tonight (Sunday, 25 Jan 2009), then electronically submitted my papers!
Last semester, when I started filling out my papers, I wasn't sure when I'd turn them in because of school and everything. I decided to stay one more semester, which meant I couldn't turn them in until just recently (you can't turn them in before 3 months prior to your availability date). Hence all the talk and early prep last semester, and the only recent completion.
I can't believe I'm actually turning in mission papers and going on a mission. Weird.
I am VERY excited, albeit a bit anxious and nervous at the same time. I know this will be a wonderful opportunity for me, and I'm grateful for the chance to be so completely immersed in the gospel for a year and a half, and even more excited to serve and bless the lives of others by sharing the gospel with them!

The church is true, the book is blue. Keep the commandments and you'll be happy too :)

I'll keep you all updated on the status of things, especially once I get my call!!!!!

4 comments:

Sara Lynes said...

I am so happy for you Sallie. You are a wonderful woman and I am glad to call you my neice. The Lord is very blessed to have another willing servant. You will do great.

Carlee Ann said...

Wahoo! I'm so excited for you Sallie! Maybe I'll see you out in the field!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Yippee! I am so happy for you! I personally think all women should serve missions :) (I am a bit partial!) as it helps prepare us for every aspect of our adult lives. Good luck with everything! (and I LOVE that you mentioned Temple Square!)

Jenn, Adam, Evan, Christian and Emma said...

Yay, we're so excited! You will make an amazing Sister! Can't wait to hear where you'll go!